Hello and welcome back! We are here to present our second sewing challenge, and talk about the exciting GIVEAWAY that will be happening at the completion!
If you are finding Whimsberry for the first time, then welcome! We are so happy that you are visiting! Feel free to leave a comment and tell us how you found us!
Now, let's get started. This sewing challenge doubles as a tutorial for beginners, so all sewing levels are welcome and encouraged to sew along with us! We took the challenge up a notch, but not the level of sewing needed to complete it. This is a design that is from the very beginning of Whimsberry, and it has been a steady go-to for great and easy style throughout. We call it the Little Bear Headband, and we think you are going to like it!
For this sewing challenge you will need the following:
- 2 cuts of 1/4 yard of fabric, cut lengthwise across the bolt.
- Scissors (fabric and paper this time)
- Printer and Paper
Now that you have your items all together, follow the steps below:
1. To start, click on this link to download our Little Bear Headband Pattern. Once you have downloaded the pattern, print it on your printer at 100%. Make sure that you measure the test square before cutting. Tape the two sheets together using the guide corners, and cut out the pattern. Leave the instructions intact on the page. You can save them with the pattern for future headband sewing! ...Christmas is coming (wink wink).
2. Fold your fabric in half with the selvage edges together. Pin the pattern to the fabric lining up the "cut on fold" edge with the folded edge (easy-peasy), and cut out the fabric. You will need to cut out a panel in each of the two fabrics you picked out.
3. Place the panels together, mirrored with the face side of the fabric together on the inside. Make sure that the notches are lined up and pin the edges if needed.
4. Starting sewing at one of the notches, sew all the way around the headband panels using a 1/4" seam. End at the second notch, making sure the area between the notches is open.
5. Trim the corners down.
6. Turn the headband right side out, and very carefully push out the corners. I find that a knitting needle or chopstick work best for this, but be gentle, you do not want to poke through the end. And yes, I have poked through many a headband ..oops.
7. Use your iron to press the headband flat. Start at the opening between the notches press the seam inside 1/4". Follow the edge with the iron, rolling it out to the seam with your finders when it does not line up. This can be a frustrating process if you are not used to it. A tip if you are having trouble is to pull your knitting needle or chopstick along the inside edge to pop out the seam before ironing. Feel free to comment any other techniques that you find useful, I would love to hear and learn as well!
8. Pin the opening together lining up the folded edges for a continued seam.
9. Sew around the entire edge of the headband 1/8" from the edge of the headband, or closer if you feel comfortable. Backstitch at the beginning and end.
10. Clip the strings and then admire your new headband. Go ahead, go show it off!
Thanks again for participating, and for taking the time to follow a pattern by Whimsberry. We are especially proud of this pattern as it is the very first in a long line of downloadable patterns that we want to share with you.
Now to the fun giveaway part of the challenge that was mentioned at the beginning of the article.
The photo you see above shows the two Little Bear Headbands that I made for the challenge. I will be giving them away to one of you at the end of the this. If you completed the Whimsberry sewing challenge, please take a photo of your finished project and post it to your Instagram feed or stories! Make sure you tag us @whimsberry in the post so that we are notified and you will be automatically entered into the giveaway!! Please also feel free to use the hashtag #whimsberrychallenge in any related photos! We want to see any of your progress in this challenge.
The second Whimsberry sewing challenge ends Thursday October 22, 2020 @ 10:00pm MST and the winner will be drawn and announced on Friday, October 23, 2020 @ 10:00am!
Good luck to all of you sewers out there! I cannot wait to see your wonderful designs and how you choose to style your Whimsberry Little Bear Headband after. Feel free to message me on Instagram if you have any questions!
Happy Sewing to all of you, I cannot wait to see what you sew up!
Miss. Whimsberry - The Pinup Seamstress